Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Furniture

Over dinner with friends, the attention inevitably turned to our off-white couch, and whether or not we plan on keeping it once Jordan gets mobile. My initial reaction was, "Of course! Why would we get rid of it?"

But then, my friends Kate and Lisa pointed out the obvious -- white couch + kid = disaster waiting to happen.

Talk about a wake up call. Are these the compromises you have to make as parents??

I really don't want to get rid of our couch, nor any of our other fancy furniture, just because of a rambunctious little tyke, but as the saying goes, kids will be kids. And they will make a mess. So, do I live with it? Or do I succumb to a living room full of bean bags and tables wrapped in bubble wrap? Jon and I decided we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

In the meantime, we did buy one kid-friendly piece of furniture -- a wall mount to hang our flat screen TV away from messy little hands.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. Hilarious. Well, I hate to say this and admit that **GASP** this is what we do, but Tim and I have a blanket that matches our couch. We lay it down for Jubei, our very black Rottweiler, when it's just us. When company comes, we just strip the couch and it looks shiny and new. It's all about compromises. I mean, I seem to recall all that tin foil on your couch not too long ago. You're right, you'll figure it out! And don't forget Aunt Krista has a few cleaning tricks up her sleeve?! Remember when she spilled red wine on it shortly after it was purchased?!?!? Kids... the messes they make!