Sunday, July 24, 2011

Being deadline oriented

Here we are folks -- the 32 month marker. Which means I now have six weeks before this baby gets here. And what have we done to prepare? Absolutely nothing.

Ok, well, I shouldn't say nothing. We did buy a bassinet, and fortunately we've had two baby showers --one from my co-workers and one from my girls in Austin. However, everything is still in its box, nothing's been washed and perhaps the most distressing of them all, we have yet to order nursery furniture. It seems like every time we think about ordering furniture, we go on vacation instead. Denial much?

Yesterday, however, it hit me like a freight train. So I started researching furniture online, and at our weekly trip to Target yesterday, I bought a few things for the hospital. Oh, and some diaper rash cream, which so far is the only medicinal baby thing we've bought. On one hand, I don't know why I'm freaking out since, speaking from experience, babies really don't need that much when they're born, really. As long as you provide them with some sort of food and a warm place to sleep, they're fine really. And so far, we have both (the bassinet and my boobs).

Speaking of boobs, here's a freaky and TMI fact: I'm already starting to leak stuff out of them. They're not gushing or anything, but I noticed it the other day after I got out of the shower.

The other thing I did to "prepare" is start putting together my hospital bag, which mainly consists of toiletries. Ladies, here's a tip for you: Forget about packing cute PJs and the like because you WILL NOT use them. You'll find yourself in the hospital gown the entire time, and if you have a c-section (which you most likely will), nothing screams pain like a pair of pajama bottoms cutting into your waist. So you're better off sporting the gown. I find all these hospital packing lists laughable. Music? If you're not being prodded and probed by hospital staff, you'll want to be sleeping. Robes? The nurses don't care about your decency and honey, they've seen it all, so no point in trying to cover up. Reading material? See music.

I can't explain why I'm so nonchalant about this whole thing. Maybe because this ain't my first rodeo. What is different this time around is that I'm mentally prepared for this little guy, something I can't necessarily say for the first (no offense to my little monkey).

Symptoms this week: bloatedness, numb hands (that's a new one), extreme exhaustion (probably from the 30 lbs I've gained so far).

No comments: