Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy birthday, Jordan!





I can't believe three years have passed since Jordan's birth. Man, has it flown by! And in full parental form, we threw him the mother of all birthday parties. So far, anyway.

We rented a bouncy house/waterslide and created a whole Cars theme around the party. Cars 2 had just come out the weekend before, and yes, we were there. Not quite first in line, but second. Jordan handled his first movie experience like a champ. Never once whined or cried, or got restless. Instead, the entire time, his eyes were glued to the screen, and at one point he exclaimed, "This is the best movie ever!" It was adorable.

But, back to the party. So we got the bouncy house/waterslide, and the minute it was up (which was less than 30 minutes), Jordan was in there, bouncing away in his PJs. Jon and I, in the meantime, were running around like chickens with no heads. Fortunately, my brother had decided at the last minute to fly down to Houston to be here for his birthday, and thank God he did, because there's no way any of the stuff we needed to do would've gotten done. That aside, I really appreciated that he had decided to come at all.

All in all, Jordan and his friends had a great time. The final tally of guests came out to close to 35. Everyone ate, drank and was definitely merry. We had ordered a sandwich tray from a corner deli and gotten his cake from HEB (decorated with Cars characters, of course). Even though we did little cooking (which is really unlike us), there was still a lot that had to be done that day. But fortunately, we got it all done when the first guests arrived at 11 a.m.

At one point, when we were all singing happy birthday to Jordan, I looked around and almost got teary eyed. He's so loved, I thought, and it touched me that he was surrounded by his friends and family that day. I truly believe the hardest yet most important and pivotal part of being a good friend or family member is just showing up. And boy, did they show up. Happy birthday, little monkey. Here's to many more.

No comments: