Friday, March 18, 2011

Pop Goes the Weasel


It's always a funny thing when you "pop" during pregnancy. One minute, you just look a little thick around the middle. The next, BAM! There's that preggo belly.

For me, it happened this week. I was going about minding my own business, when I caught a glimpse of myself standing sideways. At first I thought to myself, "Damn, those Mexican food binges have finally caught up to me," but upon further scrutiny, I realized that, yep, I look really pregnant. It's finally feeling and looking real.

In other news, we had a bit of a scare Wednesday night. I was sitting on the couch just watching t.v., when all of a sudden, my heart started pounding. Like REALLY pounding. I could feel it in my neck. It was hard for me to breathe and I almost felt like I was going to throw up. I got up, and of course started feeling dizzy. So I laid back down. I told Jon to call 911.

When the EMTs came, my blood pressure had reached 158/89 and my heart rate was going a mile a minute. The EMTs took some blood samples to make sure I wasn't going into a diabetic shock (I wasn't), and monitored me a little more. Eventually, my heart rate went down and things normalized. They diagnosed it as an anxiety attack.

It made sense. Earlier that day, I had a contentious back and forth with my boss. Even though it was hours later, the EMTs said stress can creep up on you when you least expect it. So they told me to chill out and call my doctor in the morning.

Coincidentally enough, I had an appointment with my cardiologist today. She did an echocardiogram of my heart and all systems look normal. My blood pressure also read within normal range. So long story short, there's nothing physically wrong with me. Only mentally.

I've had a million people tell me that I shouldn't stress out, to relax. And guess what? THAT'S stressing me out. So if you see me, please don't tell me I need to chill out. It won't help. Simply express sympathy if you must, and move on.

The plans for this weekend? Nothing. Just like the doctor ordered.

No comments: